Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Georgia Weiss-Elliott - Conversations

In photography I've always been interested in portraits and capturing the human face. I believe the face has a lot to tell and emotions can portray different meanings to different people. In American Sign Language (ASL), over half of the conversation takes place on the face. All meaning behind the signs and hand movements are portrayed on the face; while the facial expressions can act independently, the hand movements cannot be separated from the facial grammar. Similarly, the movement of the body signifies certain grammatical structures. ASL, besides being a language, allows for such self expression, visual conveyance of ideas, and easily captivates those around it. For this reason, I decided to photograph signers in action focusing on their face. While I don't expect everyone to understand the grammar, I hope that my viewers find these conversations interesting and perhaps understand my infatuation.
               For my pictures, I chose primarily D/deaf and native signers because of their fluency with facial grammar. At first I tried photographing my models in public places and realize that I wanted a more focused location where the subject, ASL, is most noticed. I had a few of my friends come in to the studio and tell me stories or talk to each other so as to have as natural of poses as possible. I left some space in the crops and positioned the subjects in such a way as to give the stills movement.
               ASL has been photographed by many people and tends to have a generic quality: blurry hands, weird facial expression, boring. Most often they are inadequate for capturing the essence of such a beautiful language. While my pictures have blurry hands and weird facial expressions, I hope to convey meaning, not just show ASL in action. And while my point may not come across to all, I hope that there will be something interesting for everyone. 












No comments:

Post a Comment