Monday, November 12, 2012

Steven Russell- Andreas Gursky

Andreas Gursky
My work relates to the artist Andreas Gusky's work in that it coveys the take over of a scene.  Each of my works depicts a moment in time of one or more aspects overtaking the setting.  I feel that each of my images is not easy to understand, at least not right away.  The viewer has to take in everything that is going on to really understand the situation.  The images speak to many things going on at one time in a structured busy type of way.  There is a lot of things happening anywhere you look within my images.  The themes of nature and man are recurring themes in my work.  More specifically it is the domination of one within a scene that creates the effect.  In both works (Gursky & mine) there is repetition on a massive scale going on.  The viewer gets the feeling of being inundated with sheer numbers whatever they may be.  Strangely enough there is simplicity in the overwhelmingly large amount of things going on within my images.  The simplicity is unifying; but there is an uneasiness.  I used repetition in my work to create a feeling of smallness for the viewer.  I wanted the idea that either really big things are happening or really detailed things are happening.






Link to Andreas Gursky's work:
http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2001/gursky/gursky2.html

3 comments:

  1. When I first walked up to your work, without even knowing it was yours, I was dumbfounded as to what the first two images were. They were so beautiful, but I could not figure out how you took them or what the second image was exactly. I remember thinking to myself that I had to know who took these photos. You chose an incredibly difficult artist. The thought of trying to do Gursky's work is overwhelming. You were able to pull it off in a very organic, beautiful, and more simplified way. You made it more aesthetically pleasing to view. Some of his work can be too much for me to look at. I like what you did with it. They are all strong images, save for the last. It is a good photo, but it is more out of place in terms of the overall theme. Your first two photographs, I am in love with. Beautiful work, Steven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are amazing. They are very successful in the way that many of them create a mosaic of objects that are unknown to the viewer. They are very Gurskyish and I believe you topped him because you created his same composition in single images rather than putting hundreds of images together like he did. In these images you convey a tremendous amount of depth and give new meaning to everyday objects. These were great images that give volume to the various objects you photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your repetition of patterns and chaos make this work a complete success! The angles that you used to capture the subjects made them almost impossible to identify! When I was looking at your work I got lost in just about every photograph. Many of them were unrecognizable to me and even after you told us what they were I still had a hard time seeing them that way. You were able to make the usual unusual! Great job!

    ReplyDelete