Monday, November 12, 2012

Zane Rader: Isolation in Relation

With my shoot I wanted to take Hido’s use of the light and put a literal twist on it.
When Hido photographs a home, the light on in the window is representational of a human presence. I took that idea of the light representing a human presence and decided to place a human being in it. Anywhere the light is you will find the human presence being illuminated by it.
The biggest theme of Hido’s work isolation and loneliness. Even though there are two people in the shots that I took, I felt like the beam of light in the darkness took on the role of the isolation for me. It cast a solitary beam into this very black place illuminating the human presence. For Hido the light was the human presence with the home being the loneliness. In my representation, the light was the isolation as it wrapped my subjects in its grasp and put them in their own world.
In two of the shots I wanted to capture the idea of loneliness with company as well. There are times in all of our lives where we feel like we can’t relate to the people that are around us. Even though we may have been able to have a connection with them at one point, sometimes the connection will grow weak and eventually just leave us feeling alone even when we are around them. With the shots, I wanted to go full circle in this process. There is a connection, an infatuation, a loss of connection, and then the inevitable isolation that follows. Hido saw the importance of relationships as being vessels with which to keep us out of exile. I wanted to show that idea as well as provide the counter notion that they can also be the ships that carry us into solidarity. 







3 comments:

  1. I love your compositions and your interpretation of Hido’s work. Your beautiful black and white images speak well to your subject matter. I love the way you used the lamp posts to light (or not light) your subjects. The rim light on your subject in the second to last image is fantastically amazing. That one is by far my favorite. I like that your models had such interesting and striking body shapes and movements. This created a number of interesting storylines that could be drawn from your images. I love the framing of your photos and the fact that they are underexposed and look as if your subjects and their immediate surroundings are coming out of a black abyss. Your prints were beautiful too... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't compete with David's comment because I'm not nearly that eloquent but still, your photos are amazing. I love the quality of your black and whites and it was a perfect choice for this work, the prints were gorgeous. You have such a solid grasp of composition and angles and that combined with the theme you chose makes your work extremely powerful. There is seriously nothing that I don't like about these, true-true :)

    ReplyDelete