Monday, November 12, 2012

Victoria Miera: Susan Burnstine

Susan Burnstine's Website: http://www.susanburnstine.com

From the time Susan Burnstine was four years old to the present, she has suffered from frequent and severe nightmares. As a result, her photography has become a method of coping with these dreams. Everything about her work lends itself to the the idea that her images are in fact depictions of dreams - from the blurred edges and mysterious dark figures to her use of black and white, soft light, and movement. Many of Burnstine’s images are also shot from either high above or far away, with the focal point taking up only a small portion of the entire photograph, creating a feeling of isolation, detachment, and sometimes, insignificance. These things in combination with one another give the work as a whole a dark feeling of wonder at the world and its workings.
For this project, I wanted to keep the dream-like feeling of Burnstine’s work, but focus on the more wishful daydreams of youth rather than the more overtly dark side of the unconscious. Though these images are much lighter and perhaps less meaningful at first glance than Burnstine’s, I attempted to capture the fears that people transitioning from one stage of life to another often feel, but don’t express out loud. I wanted to portray the feeling of being small when put face to face with the concept of an unknown future and both the awe and fear of a world that is much larger and much different than we might have expected. To do this, I used both black and white and color schemes to convey the vividness and quiet darkness of this time period, as well as a mix of solitary figures and broad expanses, large elements and small, to portray the interaction of internal thoughts with the external world.
Overall, I attempted to express that things can be both a dream and a terror at once and that neither sense detracts from the other, but combines to make one unique perspective of the world.








2 comments:

  1. Victoriaaaaaaa, why are you so talented? I am in love with these photos. I don't even know where to start! The light quality in your black and whites is brilliant as well as the color in the rest of them. I think it's hard to combine B&W's with color photos and make a cohesive portfolio but you definitely pulled it off here. I think all of the photos have a lightness that really captures your theme and you did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I think you nailed this project. I can see the whole bit about wandering and traveling as a theme. For me what does it is the choice of keeping some in black and white and others in color. That is what makes me think about dreams. The landscape pictures are breathtaking to me. I really love the one with the moon, because the land looks so marvelous lol. I like the perspective of being behind the people too. It totally gives a feeling of detachment. The color pallet on the middle color picture is way gorgeous too. Yea, Susan scares me not going to lie. But yours make me uneasy but not in a bad way. More like uncertain I would say is how your work makes me feel. Uncertainty in the situation. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete