Monday, November 12, 2012

Kara Crookston's Creative Assignment 2:Joyce Tenneson


I was inspired by Joyce Tenneson’s floral photographs when I looked at them.  I enjoyed her photographs’ simple compositions, soft light and curved lines. I decided to make flowers the subject of my six photographs, because I love their soft petals, lines, and bright colors.  I took the photographs outside in mid afternoon, but decided against diffusing the light during the first photo shoot.  During the second photo shoot, I experimented with soft light inside my house, but eventually took photos outside.  Technically, this assignment was quickly completed. I took pictures of flowers from different angles to create interesting and fascinating photographs.
I never really discovered my concept until I looked at Tenneson’s Intimacy portfolio. I noticed how human like her flowers were, and searched for that in my photographs.  In end, I chose images depicting flowers from different view points. I began to see human characteristics in a solitary yellow flower, the chaos in the crowd of flowers, and human companionship with two flowers side by side, like friends. I was intrigued, and finally decided to include a solitary flower, because my other images had two or more flowers in them.  From a crowd of flowers to intimate scenes with two or more flowers, I wanted human looking poses and emotions in each of my photographs. 
I attempted to create the same serenity in Tenneson’s photography.  Please enjoy Humanity.
Here's a link to Joyce Tenneson's website. :) http://www.tenneson.com/content/portfolios












2 comments:

  1. I love love love your images from this assignment! I still think that, though I still love the image, the one image with the black background seems to be out of place with the rest of your collection. The colors you used work amazingly well together and maintain simplicity. There is no overwhelming color, but enough to make them beautiful color images. The choice to get up close and personal with the flowers rather than being far away from them, gives a perspective that people don't normally see. Your images look professional, well composed and perfectly exposed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the color and details that you can see in all the flowers. I like the choice to put water droplets on the flowers because it adds texture to the photos. The flowers in the first and the fifth photo seem the most human like to me. I think that having more than one flower in focus in the photo makes them seem more human like for me since an important part of our life is based our interactions with others.

    ReplyDelete