Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tessa Flores, Artist:Naoya Hatakeyama

My artist for this project was Naoya Hatakeyama who is a Japanese landscape photographer. His photographs show an objective view of man's effect on nature.  His images typically do not have any people in them because he feels that if there was a person in the picture it would distract you; you would not be able to  focus on the subject of the picture. For one of his series, limeworks, he photographed the factories near his hometown in Japan. I really liked this series because I thought it was interesting that these factories, which are typically ugly undesirable structures no one wants to live near, could look artistic. For this project I thought it would be interesting to photograph the factories in the industrial part of Albuquerque. They are very strange and foreign looking, and compared to the nature, which is what was there before them, they are. However, in our society we want everything to be made as quickly and efficiently as possible and these factories are how this is done.  They are neither good nor evil; they are simply the result of our way of manufacturing necessary items. With these photos I just wanted to show the odd shapes and forms of the factories made  by their pipes and structures. Like Hatakeyama's, I wanted the pictures to be objective, and absent of any people. 






His images can be found at http://www.lagalerie.de/hatakeyama.html

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love all of these pictures in the series you took. They look amazing black and white, and I think you did a great job with the composition. It must have been difficult to try and find all these factories, and very time consuming but you did a great job with that also. I also like how most of them are contrasted with light against a dark background, or dark against a white background. In my opinion you really don't have a weak image in the series, all of them are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images are beautiful. It's a bit hard to say something that wasn't already said in class, but I think you really did create an objective view of these factories in all of your pictures. They are strange and foreign looking, but they do have their own sort of beauty to them. I love all of them, but I think my absolute favorite is the second one. I'm not sure if you showed it in class or not, but the editing, lines and cropping make it really stand out to me. These are all so impactful and I think you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your photos. I have fun looking at them for some reason. I believe that it is because of the shapes. I also love the shadow work in them. Your photography skills are way good too! The details in some of these images is like whoa. It is awesome because they are so necessary but you never think that necessary could be beautiful. Each picture is perfectly balanced and very stunning visually. Even the size of them gets kind of distorted to an extent because you have an idea of how big they are but you don't really know. I looked up his stuff and did not see any architecture stuff but I could see how geometry is important in his work. Yours accomplishes his really good.

    ReplyDelete