Monday, November 12, 2012

Evan White Transparent Identities: Women’s Roles in the Church Creative Assignment 2: Andres Serrano



My work was inspired by Andres Serrano and here is a couple links to his work on the web:
http://rogallery.com/serrano_andres/andres_serrano-biography.html
http://andresserrano.org

This series of photographs that I have created depicts the often forgotten and missing roles that women, living in heavily religious families or communities, are sometimes subjected to. Women throughout human history have dealt with patriarchal power from the church and other institutions that have attempted to control the destiny and overall well being of women. Although institutions such as these have progressed in social understanding, there is still a void that has not gone away, in which women do not have a voice in some religious practices. I have attempted to illustrate these forgotten voices in the church by focusing in on the surrounding, especially on pieces of religious iconography,  while leaving the subject out of focus. By doing this I have emphasized the missing identity that many women have and feel through disconnection from religion, due to a lifestyle or choice that religion deems as unholy. This personal struggle, which I have attempted to depict is linked through form of light and color. The light through the darkness symbolizes the personal spirituality that prevails through the darkness of religious dogma. It is light that binds together these images and the subject together through the stark darkness of the settings, in which I shot them in. The Influence for these images came from a contemporary photographer named Andres Serrano.
Andres Serrano’s work over all captures the forgotten voices of modern life but the collection that influenced my series of work is one, in which he titled “Body Fluids.” This work consisted of iconic images that were submerged in urine and other images that depicted blood as form. The images submerged in urine, particularly the infamous “Piss Christ,” is one that influenced my color choice and the way I shot my subject. I used a long shutter speed to give my subject a ghostlike appearance and used candlelight in most of my images to link them together against a very dark background, except in my last image which used natural light that was tinted orange and yellow. Andres Serrano used a red, orange, and yellow color palette to display religious iconography such as the crucifix and the virgin mary, much like I did with my series, to evoke literal representations of what these images instill in our minds. The function that I created through my images is one that displays the darkness that organized religion has placed upon women and the burning personal spirituality within women of faith that is inseparable from a woman’s being. Serrano depicts the subconscious instinct that is often associated with his works on religious iconography. Although I did not process my photographs as radically as Serrano did, my work is inseparable from his influence but also bears a mysterious atmosphere, which differs from Serrano. Women in the church is a subject that is often forgotten and through this series I have captured this it as well as I could through my own personally creative proclivities.  











5 comments:

  1. These photographs are amazing. Now that I know you also make movies, it makes more sense why your photos remind me of various scenes from a movie. Each photo flows into the next one, much like going from scene to scene in a movie. These images are very haunting to me. The last photo is intense. It evokes an almost demonic element, oppression, and a fear of hell. I also watch too many horror films, but these are great. I want to see more of this movie-like storytelling in your future projects. Because they are photos, it adds to the mystery and gives the theme more depth. In a movie the answers are usually given to us, whereas, in a photo, we are left with so many questions and interpretations. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures look even more profound on the screen then printed. I think that you were able to reflect your artist very well and this project shows you put a lot of time and thought doing it. The blurred out face and religious innuendoes really makes your photos thought provoking. At first glance i think people may feel disturbed by your images but after some time and consideration their feelings may change to reflect their personal struggle with spirituality and some of the constraints it present to them in this current age. The last photo is in my opinion is the most powerful. The subjects female form and blurred out hair standing in the doorway with two crosses and cracks of light piercing through is powerful. It makes me think of a struggle presented to women in some religious aspect that barriers(doors) them from eternity(light). I am sure everyone gets something different out of it and thats why its so successful, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs are well composed and use balanced color schemes. I love the use of light and dark to create an almost supernatural moment. The photo with the cross reminds me of how folktales and fables scare children into obeying their parents and elders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap, no pun intended, was this shoot haunting! I was absolutely amazed at the surreal nature f these photos. The blood red tint really gave an erie feel to the shots. That being coupled with the religious theme made them absolutely terrifying! I felt like I was looking at snap shots from horror movies. The blurred faces was very reminiscent of an exorcism. The faceless women really made me feel like I was walking into a soulless void where God was the savior and tormenter of the people inside. Riveting work my man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know there's 4 other posts on here, but IDC! I love it. It's amazing how your depth of field works out in all of them where the cross is always illuminated. In terms of femininity, seeing more circle might have been nice, but other than that beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete