Monday, November 12, 2012

Stephanie Corriz: Annie Leibovitz Inspired Project



   There were many great photographers from the list of artists, but the one who stood out the most to me, was Annie Leibovitz. I looked up several of her photographs to get the basis for my project. I knew I wanted to work with several models for added drama. I also knew I had to direct them more this time and force the situation. I chose five very unique and creative models. All of them had their own specific identities and strong personalities. My next obstacle was finding the location. Initially, I wanted to do the shoot at St. James Tea Room. However, it was difficult to get a hold of them in such a short time (I decided to do the shoot that weekend in case none of the photos worked) so I changed the location to the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens. During this time, the Botanical Gardens had their creepy crawly exhibit. There were a variety of insects, parasitic and carnivorous plants, as well as their Fall Festival flowers, plants, and trees. It was a perfect and entertaining location that would add a little drama to the shoot. Eventually, I was able to get a hold of St. James Tea Room and did a shoot there, but with one model. These photographs did not fit the theme of the Botanical Gardens photos well, so I chose just one photo from that shoot.
My idea was to use the fall colors, backgrounds, and the bug exhibit to add more of a theatrical feel to the photos, like the drama shown in Annie Leibovitz’s photos. I also wanted to make it look like a fashion spread for something you would see in a fall issue of a reputable magazine, similar to her work in Vanity Fair and Vogue. Despite using all five models, I found myself taking stronger photos with just a single person opposed to a group. Annie Leibovitz’s photos are quite a production. At times she works with many models in a shoot, and each one of them comes out really strong in the photo. There is also a lot of trust and respect that models have for her because of her reputation and impressive works as a photographer. I can really sense that when I see her photos. Her models are aware that they are making a piece of art. I think my models and I were going in the right direction, but we were all very new to this so it created a sense of awkwardness behind and in front of the camera. The photos I chose were more subdued compared to the other photos I took, but I felt like they were the strongest. They are less dramatic versions of Annie’s work. I read a lot of critiques about people who enjoy her earlier photography and think her new stuff has been edited too much in Photoshop, so I think these photos are a good middle ground. They look real, but have a subtle sense of drama, refined beauty, and an element of fashion. If I could have used some Photoshop and would have had a lot more skill, I think I could have taken Annie’s style a lot further. Overall, it was an amazing learning experience and I was able to see where I need to improve as a photographer.

Below is a link to a Vanity Fair contributors article on Annie Leibovitz that gives a brief overview of her life and work.


http://www.vanityfair.com/contributors/annie-leibovitz








4 comments:

  1. These photographs' color schemes are very beautiful and balanced. Your compositions and technical ability work perfectly with each other to create strong images. The last photograph reminds me of Jane Austen's novels, one of my favorite authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane Austen! Thank you Kara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your color of the photos. The second photo looks like a fancy album jacket. I like the last two photos because their color and feeling is really impressive. In my opinion, the 5th one looks like oriental feeling photo whereas last one looks like european luxuriously middle age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how stylish your pictures are. They all scream vogue or other high fashion magazines in your theme. I can tell you put a tremendous amount of thought into your choice of costume and setting. They match perfectly together and i believe you have such evocative pictures in the way of composition and choice of expression. Your color palette is also amazing, especially in the last two because they show a vast array of greens and blacks. You also got really good lighting in these photographs, because of its softness. Great job!

    ReplyDelete