Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Emmanuelle Katz

For my portraits I focused on the idea of wonder. Not necessarily wonder in a fairy tale sort of way but more in the literal sense. Photography has the power to portray the ideas of the photographer very clearly but it can also have a way of making the viewer wonder what the subject is thinking. I chose the settings for my photos but I told the models to do whatever they wanted. Some of the time they did things that I wouldn't have expected and other times there was an innocent sort of awkwardness that came from not knowing what I wanted. I chose to put all my photos in black and white because I think more emotion comes across when all you have to focus on is the subject.
"When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in black and white, you photograph their souls."
~Ted Grant









4 comments:

  1. Wow! you have a really good eye for what would make a good and interesting photo. I love your compositions and think that you framed these shots really well. Every one of them is very powerful and striking. I love your choice of black and white as well as your contrast choices for each photo. You played with balance/symmetry and the lack thereof quite nicely. These photos look super professional. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the use of lines throughout your photos. My favorite is your final photo. I like that you have your model doing two different actions, it really makes this photo work. Your fourth photo is also very strong due to the type of lighting you used. The lighting itself created diagonals. What I would do to improve the photos is to increase the brightness and maybe up the contrast. I like your idea. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of putting the subjects in a particular setting and letting them do whatever felt natural or in some cases unnatural. It kind of gives a window into the soul, in the sense that you can feel the awkwardness but it finds a home in the framing of your images... If that makes any sense at all. I also like the quote you inserted at the ends of your introduction, it plays well into your work.Some models seem to be more texturally appealing, in particular the second girls sweater in the closer shots ads complexity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your use of light is amazing all around in the portfolio. In your second to last photograph the rim lighting is great. The use of diagonals to the subject and the contrast of black and white just makes the photograph. You also use rim lighting in the second photograph giving a split lighting. This lighting is great on her face. It feels like she is letting the viewer a peak at her beauty but still hiding like she is shy. It also has great contrast from light to dark with still having the grey tones in the images. These two photos are similar yet completely different and are my favorite in the series.

    ReplyDelete